Like Reedeemed at Facebook

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Honoring God or Your Body?

Tomorrow morning my fiancée and I begin walking. The plan is to walk to the nearby park, and continue on for about an hour, leaving plenty of time between the walk and the start of church. Tonight, we prayed that in this, we may honor God with our bodies by taking care of them since he was kind enough to bestow them upon us.


In an interesting article at ThinkChristian, Josh Larsen pursues the notion that concussions in football might qualify for not honoring the body as the temple of God. On the opposite end of the spectrum, is the complete lack of doing anything (as is my case) equally abusive to God's temple? I certainly don't treat mine very well: I stay up late (like right now), drink absurd amounts of soda, there's a bag of chips next to my bed, and I love cinnamon rolls. Are any of these things evil? Doubtful: they are amoral. According to the late G.B. Caird and his posthumous editor, L.D. Hurst, "Evil is a perversion of goodness, and its power is the power of God" (Caird, 111). The body is good, and mistreating it in either of the extremes of abuse or neglect is to screw up what God has made good.

It is my prayer that as I seek to care for this gift from God that he may be glorified through this.
_________________
1. Caird, G.B. and L.D. Hurst. New Testament Theology. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1994.

No comments:

Post a Comment